Last week I conquered the 20-mile distance for the first time. It was hard and ridiculous, but I finished it. I still have one more 20-miler left before the taper, but at least I know what to expect now. Since it was such an interesting experience, this week for Thinking Out Loud, I am going to list 20 thoughts that went through my mind while I ran. I was having a lot of trouble shutting my brain off and it was going a little wild. I imagine I will have even more fun thoughts while I run Colfax, but for now, here are 20 thoughts I had running my first 20-miler.
- Holy crap! 20 miles is so far… I wouldn’t drive that far if I could help it.
- I really hope the Hansons are wrong and this 20-miler isn’t going to kill me.
- Why did that person just pass me? Clearly they must NOT be running 20 miles.
- Oh, I am totally going to own this marathon.
- 20 miles isn’t that far.
- It’s so nice and wonderful out. I love running.
- Why do I do this to myself? I hate running.
- Sing it P!nk!! (while listening to So What)
- Almost half way!! Not too bad.
- Oh no… I’m only half way.
- Elly knows where it’s at! I should be sleeping next to her.
- Make it to 13.1 and you can eat some really gross Gu.
- YEAH!!! EAT THE REALLY GROSS GU!!!
- So, this would be the second half of the marathon. I can totally do this!
- Why did I route myself to a hill on the 15th mile?
- I am circumnavigating Manhattan… I am like Magellan. I bet he couldn’t run 20 miles.
- Oh F*ck… Why do I do this to myself? There is no way I can run a marathon.
- Tell me I can do this… I can do this. Tell me I can do this… I can do this.
- I am the hungriest person in the world.
- I just ran 20 miles!!!! Marathon training is the best!!!!
At least I know I can run 20 miles! I think at the end of it, I could have run 6.2 more… if I had to. Seriously, though, I wouldn’t want to.
This is what Elly was doing while I ran:
Thanks to Amanda at Running with Spoons for hosting the linkup!
What thoughts go through your head while you run long?